Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Houses of Holes - Croatia







I am tired 


Of houses full of bullet holes and 


Explanations which do not satisfy my mind-


And certainly not my heart


I accept that yours are the only ones you have to give


They are your truth but


Are they enough?


Can it be that simple?


I know I wasn’t there but


What about them?

What about them?


The human beings, the families, the chickens and the sheep
 

Who lived there also?











 








What about those who tried to help you


Or just to live their lives 


But were caught between worlds-


Tortured for their fidelity and for their lack of it


Depending on which side caught them first?


Do they matter? Or


Are they just casualties- 


Acceptable loses for the bigger hope?


What other choice could they have made?


What would you have done, had you been born the other?


I understand your side but


What about the other?


Were sides necessary at all or


Was there another way which


Would have left the houses full of life 


Instead of shattered and haunted and 


Empty


Is it a memory of victory or


A memory of shame?


How long will these riddled reminders stand as we drive by?

 


















What do you think or feel when you see them? Or


Do you… see them anymore?


Is it just me? Because


I see them in my dreams


And what about the rest of us-


Are we wrong to question?


I just wonder and worry 


That we are missing the truth-


Or at least half of it


All of us, not just you


I am tired of houses full of bullet holes and


Holes in my heart from the nightmare of the stories that they tell


Where are they now?





 For the victims of the Yugoslav Wars- The living and the dead


Photo locations:
1. Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, December 2012
2. Zagreb, Croatia, November 2012
3. Karlovac, Croatia, August 2011
4. Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, December 2012









No comments:

Post a Comment